Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Green


Green is my favorite color (just about any shade).  Green is another name for money.  Green is a way of life the helps keep the earth clean.  Green is the color of food I should be eating!  I am going to talk about two of those things today. 

Being a Christian I believe we called to be good swards of the earth.  It was gift God created for us to live in and we should treat it with respect and love.  Now I am not a crazy tree hugging, burlap wearing, all organic eating, earth loving person but I do try to do things that are earth friendly.  We buy the compact florescent bulbs that use less energy, and try to buy natural and organic food when our budget allows, we reuse and repurpose everything we can, and we also try to use things until they are literally worn out.  We donate things instead of throwing them out.  One of the benefits of being green  is that you find a little more green in your wallet at the end of the day… always a plus right!?!?  Well today I tried out a few new “green” cleaners with amazing result!! 

The first thing on my list was a use anywhere on anything around the kids type of cleaner.  Let me tell you it cleaned up peanut butter smeared all over my dinning room table without a greasy residue, after that I was sold.  Would you like to know how to make it?  Yeah I thought so so here is my recipe:

1/2 tsp dish soap
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 cups water
3 drops essential oil
Gently mix it up in a spray bottle  spray the surface, wipe down, with a cloth and go on your marry way.  (to be really green you could rescue an empty bottle of cleaner and properly relabel it)

Second was a toilet cleaner, those are some of my least favorite chemicals to use because they are so harsh and terrible smelling!  I loved the results with my greener cleaner and it did not require copious amounts of ventilation.  Here is the recipe:
¼ c white vinegar with 10 drops of essential oils added
 (the oil simply helps the vinegar to smell fresh and less vinegary if the small doesn’t bother you then by all mean skip the oils!!)
 
½ c baking soda
Sprinkle the baking soda in the toilet add the vinegar mixture and scrub with a toilet brush!! Great, quick, clean results!

The third one I tried out was a floor cleaner!!  This recipe is for a bucket of water but I made up two batches of, it store it in a container and just put a tablespoon into my libman spray mop with warm water. 


1/4 cup dish soap
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
10 drops essential oil
{add to bucket of hot water}

 

Leave a comment and let me know what you do in your house to be a little greener and be a good steward of the gift God gave us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment