Monday, May 20, 2013

Let's Do Some Math


This whole weight loss thing isn’t just about being skinnier.  I want to be a healthier person.  I have been doing some research after looking at the scale and doing some reading.  I was curious to see just how many calories my body would burn if I did nothing but lay around all day.  I found out some interesting information.  Every pound of fat is worth about 3,500 calories.   Everyone has a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which is how many calories your body burns simply by keeping your heart pumping, digesting the food you eat, and filling your lungs with air.  My BMR is somewhere around 2,100 calories.  Depending on the site you go to you will get different answers so I did a few and averaged it.  Everyone all has a TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) which is how many calories your body burns by keeping you alive and helping you with your daily activities such as walking around ect…   My TDEE is about 3,000 calories when you add in my daily walks. 

 

Now that I know this information I think I will be upping my daily calorie intake just a bit.  If my body burns 2,100 calories by living then eating only 1,500 calories is not enough fuel to keep my body breathing which means that it will not be likely to let go of any extra fat I have hanging around.  My body will become just like one of those people on hoarders.  It’s not a pretty sight!! 

 

Let’s do some math… If one pound of fat is 3,500 calories then I need to eat that many calories less a week to lose one pound a week.  If I eat only my BMR (2,100 calories) each day and I know that my TDEE is 3,000 calories then I am eating 900 calories less than my body burns each day.  That makes my grand total of burned calories each week (7days) 6,300.  That should be a 2 pound weight loss each week.  That is what I’m talking about!!  Now add in some exercise and I should see real results!!

No comments:

Post a Comment